Monday 7 November 2011

I WANT TO CRY...

I'm so angry I feel nauseous!
My lovely man bought me this 1950's glitter Lucite handbag
in a treasure chest design with a carved handle, RARE!!!
It was gonna be a birthday present but it arrived in 3 pieces.
Two sheets of bubble wrap for overseas shipping, really?!
And no fragile stickers what so ever.
The seller's a dealer, she should have known better!!!
I want to cry...



Does anyone know how to glue vintage Lucite?
If it's possible I can at least use it as a jewelry box, if the
seller doesn't want the bag back that is.
Better than nothing I suppose.

6 comments:

Straight Talking Mama! said...

you can glue Lucite, the same happen to me, you just need to find the right thing from DIY store. It's especially for plastic and it's like those glues that you have to mix, can't remember what it's called but I've done it and it works, fear not!

Miss Rascal said...

Thanks hun.
But can I use it once it's been glued? Would E600 work?

Perdita Tinsel said...

I've glued modern lucite with 2 part (i.e. you mix it) epoxy glue. But that was modern.

This kind of thing makes me so cross...my husband bought me a 100 yr old Singer in its box for my birthday. The antique dealer thought the (100 year old, wooden) box cover would serve as protection for a cast iron sewing machine, in a too-big cardboard box in the post. It was smashed to matchwood when it arrived. :(

Vintage Coconut said...

*Uhggghh* Some sellers are not too smart! It seems as though they try to save money on shipping supplies... but in turn end up with unhappy customers because of broken packages. You would figure they would start packing their merchandise better.

Straight Talking Mama! said...

Yes I used mine since and I don't do light bags so it was a full lucite bag! Yes that's it epoxy glue, ah Perdita my brain was empty.

So yes do it carefully and it will be like new :o)

Kally said...

Yes, epoxy. The brand name is Araldite, but you can get the exact same two-part epoxy resin glue in any £1 shop.

You must be so upset... I'd be devastated, as well as angry. It's a piece of history whch has been damaged, on top of your birthday gift being ruined. Stupid seller! x